The Mexican boys crowded around a shop window, peering in at the various television screens. The proprietor hovered at the door, watching them warily, but they were only interested in what was showing on the largest screen.
“Man, look at those guys pop and lock,” one of them said. “They’re like robots - it must have taken forever get that kind of control.”
“Hey,” another said. He leaned closer, narrowed his eyes. “Dude! Check it out! It’s that Asian kid who danced with us yesterday on the corner.”
The others elbowed him aside, jostling for a closer look.
“No way, man - you can’t tell who he is - they all look the same.”
“And we all look the same to them,” the first boy said. “Seriously, it’s him - Kim Jo what’s-his-face.”
“Really?” one of the younger boys asked, scrunching up his nose.
“Really,” Jo Seung said. He grinned wickedly when all five boys jumped and spun around, fists up to fight.
“The hell, man? You nearly gave us a heart attack!”
Jo Seung shrugged and smiled innocently. He kept his hands jammed into the front pockets of his hoodie - he hadn’t had a chance to wash the blood off his hands from his last kill. “I heard my name and wondered if I was in trouble.”
The leader of the boys looked him up and down. “Are you a professional dancer or something?”
“Me? No, I just dance for fun. Back in Korea I’m an actor, actually.” He let them digest that for a moment.
“Well,” the leader finally said, “you’re good at what you do, man. If you’re ever around here and want to dance with us again, you’re welcome.”
Jo Seung bowed politely. “Thank you. And if you ever come to Korea, I will be a gracious host.” His commander’s voice blasted over his earpiece, but his expression didn’t waiver.
“So that’s why your hood is up, then?” the leader asked.
Jo Seung nodded. “Almost got mobbed by some girls in K-town.” He cast a mock-nervous glance over his shoulder. “I should get back to the hotel. Keep dancing!” And he walked away. This was why he liked coming to America - he could have innocent moments of fun even while on the job.
(377 words)
No comments:
Post a Comment