“So...we’re stuck out here for a week until some nutjob behind a camera in Mongolia decides we’re no longer a threat?” Alex’s expression spoke of deep-seated skepticism.
“A week at the most,” Angel said smoothly. “Our commander assures as that she’ll be able to soothe Hagalaz’s wounded ego and it’ll be safe for you to return home.”
Alex studied the burned-out trees and the mushy undergrowth of the forest. “So...we just set up camp out here until your boss gives you the all-clear?”
Gabriel ground his teeth. He was starting to tire of the way Alex started every sentence with an interjection. “That’s the idea, yes.”
Alex glanced at his friends. “So...how do we make camp?”
“There’s a cave a few hundred yards into the trees.” Keith pointed. “If you just hole up there, it’ll keep you safe from the elements.”
Kevin studied the terrain for a long moment, expression thoughtful. “What kind of food will we have?”
“Do you have a stash of food in the cave?” Nick added.
Angel arched his eyebrows, cast Gabriel a look.
“Did we bring food?”
“I didn’t,” Gabriel said. He nudged Keith. “Did you?”
Alex’s eyebrows shot toward his hairline. “You bundled us out here in the middle of the night like fugitives and you forgot to pack food? What are we going to eat?”
Tobias tapped his chin thoughtfully. “There are chokecherries that grow locally. Bears like them, but humans can eat them just fine.”
Kevin dragged a hand through his hair. “This is a national park. We can’t exactly hunt here, even if we had brought rifles.”
Keith spread his hands wide to show he was rifle-free.
Tobias sighed. “Well, the rangers won’t question it if one of the gray wolves brings down a deer, will they?”
“You think you can fight off a wolf to bring us a deer carcass?” Kevin asked.
Gabriel remembered, belatedly, that Kevin was the outdoorsy one.
Tobias shook his head. “No. But I bet I can bring down a deer.” And he marched off into the trees.
“What’s he going to do, wrestle one with his bare hands?” Alex demanded.
“Just head for the cave,” Angel said, tone soothing. He cast Kevin a look. “I take it you can prepare a deer for human consumption?”
“If I have a decent hunting knife, sure.” Kevin looked at Keith.
Keith sighed and unstrapped the knife from his belt. “Here. Use it well.”
“Will Tobias be all right out there?” Nick asked.
Angel smiled and patted him on the shoulder. “Tobias will be perfectly fine.”
An hour later, Tobias returned with a deer carcass in his arms. He set it at Kevin’s feet and sighed at the blood on his shirt. Kevin knelt and checked the carcass.
“Blood’s warm. This is a fresh kill. Looks like a wolf got at its throat. How are you still alive?”
Tobias’s grin was wicked. “How do you know I wasn’t the wolf?”
(498 words)
1 comment:
I do so love me some Tobias. I like the insight that none of them think about food, because no one really needs food to survive.
Post a Comment