Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Can You Count to Three?

“I refuse,” Keith said. He crossed his arms over his chest and dared one of the other lads to oppose him.

“Look, old lady McConnell’s just going to make you. Might as well get it over with,” Ste said. He shot Duffy and Shannon pleading looks.

Shannon sighed impatiently. “Look, get out there and do it, and then one of us will follow.”

“How do I know that you won’t hang me out to dry? I won’t be the only one out there making a fool of myself,” Keith said. “If you’re so eager to dance, you pick partners.”

The other three exchanged helpless glances.

Keith started when someone tapped him on the shoulder. He spun around and saw the new girl - Hannah or Holly or something - standing behind him. She studied him with solemn golden eyes. Then she broke into a wide grin.

“Heya, fancy a waltz?”

Keith said, “No.”

She tugged on his wrist. “That’s too bad. I’m not botching P.E. because you’re not man enough to step up and make the grade. Now waltz with me.”

“I don’t know how,” Keith protested.

“Can you count to three?”

“Yes.”

“Then you can waltz. On one...”

(198 words)

No comments: