Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Sturdier Shoes

“I cannot believe you talked me into this,” Christian grumbled.

“I didn’t talk you into it. You let yourself be convinced.” Anna straightened his tabard with deft hands. “Now get out there and be charming and win some more land for your father.”

“You’re distressingly amused by the thought of me marrying Lady Vivian.” Christian brushed a piece of imaginary lint from his shoulder.

“Yes, well, she’s a lady, you’re a lord, she has lots of land, what more can your father ask for?”

“Me to be happy.”

“Your brother Ranolfe was happy, and look where it got him? Dead.” Anna stood back and gave him one last once-over. “Time to go dance.”

“But I’m terrible at dancing,” Christian protested.

“Nonsense. You’re a swordsman and full of smooth, dancing grace. Don’t forget that the left turn is on the offbeat.” Anna smiled and pushed him out from behind the tapestries that hid the servants from view.

Halfway through the first song, Lady Vivian learned, up close and personally what on the offbeat meant. To Christian, it meant nothing to do with anything his tutors - or Anna - had taught him. From the sidelines, Anna mused that proper ladies should have learned to wear much sturdier shoes by now.

(208 words)

1 comment:

Madness said...

LOL. somehow I can't picture Christian as a bad dancer, but It is really funny to imagine.