Sunday, January 4, 2009

Overview #10 - Picture

They say a picture is worth a thousand words, and, well, maybe it is. I had a lot of fun with this project and did my best to use as many different pictures as possible - some of people, some of places, and to use the pictures in different ways. Most of the times the pictures were of characters. One picture, though it had people, was to me of a moment rather than just visual reference for the characters. It was relieving, to know that I wouldn't have to do the work a picture could do. In Last of Asgaroth I used the picture to do the work for me, so I wouldn't have to use inadequate adverbs and adjectives to try to recreate the emotion between the man and the woman in that scene. I thought that was useful.

In the first story I wanted the picture to be not just of his face but of who he was at the time the picture was taken, like in crime procedural shows, where the suspect's mother hands the police officer a picture of her boy, sweet-faced and smiling, and the entire audience knows he's a killer. I wanted to write about Iori because I played him for so long, and when one role-plays one accrues characters whose stories are never written on paper or screen, whose stories are incomplete, so I figured I'd give my sweet Iori a chance. I liked to use the picture as Irony in White City; those who recognize the fandom there would likely recognize the irony of so beautiful a place being home to so horrible an institution.

The pictures came to me either way - sometimes I was inspired by a picture and wrote from it. Other times I already had an idea and had to hunt for a picture that suited it; playing in the Middle of Nowhere with my friend BenTen helped me learn how to find a picture to suit my idea rather than using a picture the other way around. Overall, this was an excellent exercise.

No comments: