Monday, February 9, 2009

Overview #15 - Point of View

Wow, I just realized that this means fifteen weeks of writing. I can't remember the last time I did something for fifteen weeks straight! Anyway, this exercise was fun and a challenge. Even though I understand the basic technicalities that go into writing the different points of view, I'm really not comfortable with anything but third person limited. I usually have a good enough grasp on character to be able to switch points of view from chapter to chapter, but I feel that I don't have the right sense of voice for first and second person. I sort of enjoy the mysticism that can come from 2nd person POV, although I think that option is abused a lot, and I had fun trying out different voices with first person. Technical exercises can be surprisingly fun. The conversation I chose was pretty boring, but I wanted to be able to see the differences in everything surrounding the actual dialogue, see how different characters would interpret things.

No comments: