Thursday, May 14, 2009

Witching Hour Minus 300

“We’re moving out now? Are you insane?” Henry cast a look between the two brothers, but they were silent, unmoving, staring each other straight in the eye. Anyone else would have thought it was CT using his mind magic, but Henry knew it was something deeper, more intrinsic - they were twins, after all.

CT tore his gaze away from Robbie and said, “We’re moving out now. We have to draw the Chantry forces away from this place while J and the Technocrats find the Book.”

“It’s just now midnight - that’s three hours till the Witching Hour. That’s three hours until we’re at full potency,” Henry said. He sighed and tugged at the strap of his goggles. “Look, I’m just a minor matter mage - what could I possibly do that you two want my help this much?”

CT said, “That doesn’t matter. We’re going. Now. Rob - you’ll hold them off, right?”

Robbie nodded once, sharply, and summoned his spellbook off a nearby shelf. Henry shook his head in disbelief.

“Do you ever speak? I know CT’s the older one and twins have telepathy or whatever, but we might die tonight, and all you can do is look for one of your mouldy old spells?”

“Hey,” CT began, sharply.

But Robbie opened his mouth. “I can speak,” he said. “Unlike some, however, I keep my mouth shut unless I have something useful to say. Gushing sentimentalities to a man who knows half of my soul is of no use, for if he dies, I will follow soon after and will not suffer a lifetime of regret as you think I might. When he dies, our patterns will merge, and we will shine in the umbra for all to see.”

Anyone else might have been horrified by the coldness of Robbie’s words, but he was Verbena, and they were uncanny when it came to death and souls, more so than the Euthanatos at times. Henry was horrified not by Robbie’s words but by the way Robbie spoke, by the black ink that flashed between Robbie’s parted lips.

Someone had tattooed the Triangle of Solomon on his tongue.

Robbie must have realized Henry noticed, for he smiled, then, a full-on, bared-teeth smile that was too lifeless and vicious to be a real smile. “Now leave,” he said, “and make sure the Chantry doesn’t come near here, or you’ll regret it. For eternity.” Then, with a single, casual motion, he slashed open his own wrist.

(412 words)

2 comments:

Madness said...

Are these characters in any story that you are writing? I don't recognize any of them.

Nagi said...

Just random characters. In my head.