Saturday, July 25, 2009

Back On My Feet

“I have to say, this was really a treat, and not just because I was once a screaming sixteen-year-old girl.” The reporter smiled and brandished her tape recorder.

Scott shrugged. “It’s Christmas, the concert is for a good cause, and the four of us were all in the country at the same time.”

“Well, you guys sound better than ever. Any plans for a new album?” the reporter asked.

The four of them exchanged looks, and then Clay said, “Probably not. I mean, we’ll always make music with each other, but at this point our tastes and styles are pretty divergent. Scott has a good thing going with the grassroots vibe, and I don’t think he wants us crawling all over his studio.”

“You got that right,” Scott said, and punched Clay in the shoulder lightly.

The reporter’s eyes gleamed. “So, are the rumors true?”

“No, I’m not secretly an undercover agent for the Mounties,” Scott said promptly, and the other three laughed.

“There was a rumor going around a couple of years ago that you split because Dan came out to your father,” the reporter said.

The mirth faded, and the brothers looked at each other. Something silent passed between them, and then Bob spoke.

“Dad wasn’t too happy about Dan and Joey, but that’s not why we stopped touring and recording. It was my fault, actually.”

Clay flinched. “Man, don’t say that.”

The reporter leaned in closer; she could smell a good story.

“Remember when I cut my hair midway through the Just Another Phase promo stuff?” Bob asked.

The reporter nodded. “Definitely. The fans were devastated.”

“Well, I cut my hair because I was starting chemotherapy.”

The reporter’s expression was priceless.

“I wasn’t sure if I was going to lose my hair, and I figured if I buzzed it and then just shaved it all off, no one would notice. I had leukemia - it’s in remission now, and Clay donated some bone marrow for the cause, but once the chemo hit I just didn’t have the energy to tour.” Bob shrugged. “That’s the truth of it, I guess.”

“Leukemia?” The reporter searched for words. “Why didn’t you tell the fans?”

Bob laughed, a little self-consciously. “Well, I was miserable company for a while there. I mean, I was surprised that the fans hadn’t noticed I barely said a word during interviews and barely smiled. Given how horrible I was to my brothers, I felt no need to spread the misery, and besides, the doctors said I had a really good chance of beating it, especially with Clay hanging around, so I didn’t want to make more of a fuss than necessary.”

“But you’re all better now?”

“Yeah. It’s been in remission for a while now, and I’m getting back on my feet.” Bob smiled, and around him, his brothers smiled as well.

Someone’s cellphone buzzed, and Scott jumped. “Sorry - sounds like they want us on the next stage.”

The reporter nodded, still looked dazed.

2 comments:

Madness said...

I really liked the dazed reporter. I have enjoyed how Bob had dealt with the whole situation. How you worked it all together without it being too obvious.

Props to you.

Nagi said...

Thanks! I've seen the boys in many an interview, and Bob doesn't speak up as much once they hit a certain stage. Also, Scott is full of the weird comments and is, by consensus of the boys, the group freak.

Plus, watching a reporter freak out is...fun.

When the band broke up, no one knew why, but general fan consensus is that their father was not too happy with suddenly-queer son number four.

I'd have lied about the chemo at the time too.