Sunday, August 2, 2009

Overview #37: Four Seasons

I honestly had no clue what to do with this prompt, since there are six days in a Master & Madness writing week and there are only four seasons. About halfway through, I realized that I'd stumbled onto a pattern and a way to make things come full circle, and a structure emerged. There was some inconsistency as far as style, as Scott and Dave had no dialogue at all, and then Carolyn's final post was almost completely dialogue. Also, the timeline is pretty inconsistent from post to post, too, since Dan's post actually comes after all of the others.

But a structure emerged, and I'm pretty pleased with myself. The arc went from winter to winter, starting with Scott and ending with Carolyn. There was parallelism for Dan and Carolyn. Dan was finishing school in the spring and ready to start a new life; Carolyn was starting school in the fall and starting her new life, too, albeit in a very different way from Dan. Summer was the center and the crux and ran with the identical triplets (I honestly cannot figure out what to call them when they're not with Dan, because between the two of them they're twins, but if I call them twins then Dan, the third triplet, is all left out), in the same season on two ends of the world. I was happy, but not ecstatic about what I managed to do. I know different people have favourite seasons and associate different seasons with different things, and I tried to stay away from too many clichés about warm seasons=happy and cold seasons=sad.

Also, a modly welcome to Awed Awake, who will join us fully when her computer is up and running.

No comments: