Carolyn knelt in the instrument rig, pieces of a Glock laid out on a box. She checked the stopwatch, started it, then closed her eyes and scooped up the first pieces she touched.
As the last piece slid into place with a click, voices met her ears. She’d spent hours studying footage, photographs, and files about the four boys that she was going to be living with, but she’d never actually met them. Yet.
She could hear them singing.
She opened her eyes and didn’t even bother to glance at the stopwatch.
Then she poked her head out of the rig and saw all four boys standing around their father, at attention, like little soldiers, filling the air with sugar-sweet harmony. Given how young they were, their sense of three-part harmony was sophisticated.
Even if they did sound like chipmunks.
“Scott, keep your posture up. Dan, control those higher notes. Clay, sway in time with your brothers or don’t sway at all.” Kevin turned to his other son. “Bob, what the hell was that?”
“I’m sorry, Dad,” one of the little boys said. He had a slight lisp. “I tried to stay on key --”
“No excuses, Robert. Did you warm up like I told you?”
“I did, sir.”
John coughed politely. “Has anyone seen Carolyn?”
“Who’s Carolyn?” all four boys asked.
“John’s bringing his daughter on the road, the way Captain Lyle sometimes brings Ronnie,” Kevin said. “I suppose introductions should be made.”
(245 words)
3 comments:
Hehe. Carols first time meeting the boys. Was that bob singing the lead for the song? How old was she when she started?
Bob was all kinds of singing lead on that song. He didn't get that many leads as a kid, and I just love the song. Way to tell the kids apart!
Carolyn started when she was seven. Or eight. If my memory serves, I canon-screwed myself and said seven, but probably about eight. The boys are nine and ten in that video, I think.
BTW... my wrist size is 6 3/4. and that is a bit of an overlap.
Post a Comment