Sunday, December 6, 2009

Overview #50: Dear Diary

First of all, woohoo! Fifty challenges delivered and answered! I was originally planning on doing this week's challenge as straight diary entries, and this would have been a serious exercise in voice and POV. I think I did that with the first entry, but after that it was a matter of creativity and seeing what I could do with a journal entry. I think Carolyn's journal was the one that mirrored most closely the effect I'd intended when I'd set out to write it. The monster Moffatts nostalgia run wasn't at all what I was expecting, and anyone looking very closely will see that the lyrics can't possibly match up with the timeline as I've established it, but it was a fun project. I felt a little lame for stealing lyrics left and right like I did, but I tried to make each character's sense of journaling different. Clay's made me smile. Bob's, of course, came the hardest, if only because I hadn't really pictured any of the brothers but Scott and Dan keeping journals.

Overall, however, it was a great experience and a learning one.

No comments: