Sunday, January 17, 2010

Overview #55: Urban Fantasy

I confess I was, in part, inspired to create this project after reading Holly Black's Tithe, which I enjoyed but I didn't find nearly as accessible as The Demon's Lexicon or The Mortal Instruments Trilogy, both of which are pretty awesome urban fantasy. I think I have a pretty good start on characters and a universe sketched out, but I don't know that anything I produced this week would actually be a good start for a novel itself. I sort of lost some of the urban after the first piece, because the mark of Urban fantasy is that it's set in a city, so readers can experience the bizarre juxtaposition of fast-paced modern life thrown in with the usually medieval conceptions of traditional high fantasy. Of course, the urban setting often lends a certain urgency and energy to the fantastical elements that develop. I have no idea what central conflict I could derive from the characters and setting I've created, but I think I did a decent job of weaving the mundane and supernatural.

Why does it always come back to Angels for me? Even the Wordsmith-verse had angelic elements in it.

Go figure.

No comments: