Sunday, February 28, 2010

Overview #61: The Departed

This week was the first time in a while I've shortchanged. Near the end I broke away from the formal sterility of actual obituaries and went for the informal ones, the obituaries that are part eulogy. I hit up some of the eulogies I love, like the reprise of "I'll Cover You" during Angel's funeral in RENT, the song one in "Love Actually", and I tried to think of non-traditional ways that people might want to remember a friend. I did one totally non-verse random piece because I could (although anyone who cared/was nerdy enough would notice that the characters' names all come from a common set). At the beginning of the week I'd intended to write an obituary for each of Asia's undercover aliases for her different lives with the guys, and I managed - Keith's Holly, Sam's Amy, DJ's Celia. It occurred to me that Christian's Anna wouldn't get an obituary, and I couldn't think of what to say for Tobias's Veronica, so there you go. Ultimately, it was an interesting writing exercise, trying to combine the best of a person in a few short words.

No comments: