“I wouldn’t bother him,” Elise said. She and Marsh were huddled at the rickety kitchen table in another run-down safehouse, sharing tepid, watered-down tea and watching Cody out in the rain.
For all that Kyle was the best fighter of the lot, being small and quick and wiry, Cody was physically the strongest. Marsh and Elise were steady fighters, competent, generally quick-witted, but Gabriel had been training Kyle forever, and Cody was just...husky. Not big enough to be imposing, but he had enough weight to make his hits hurt.
And right now he was hurting a tree pretty solidly, over and over again. Half an hour from now, he’d be worn out and his hands would be bruised and scraped raw, and he’d come inside. Even Asrael had given up trying to make Cody see sense. He’d be out there working on his punches until the anger was gone.
Until then, the others would leave him be. Marsh watched a particularly wild swing go awry and cringed. Then he pushed back his chair and went in search of a first aid kit.
Hopefully Cody would get over it soon.
(193 words)
2 comments:
there was subtle humour in that. enjoyable!
I am intrigued by your seraph voiced characters. I am not as familiar with them and I like getting to know them
Post a Comment