Friday, June 11, 2010

Ideas and Plans

This is all your fault," Aurelius said cheerfully. He, Ambrosius, and Niamh - who, by this stage of her page training, served both of them - were huddled beneath a dense cluster of shrubs watching King Lars' men march past.

"I distinctly remember that this was your idea," Ambrosius said. "I was content studying barrier spells in the library."

"I meant Niall," Aurelius said. He ruffled Niamh's hair. "It's always the subordinate's fault."

"Yes, My Lord," Niamh said patiently. Ambrosius met her gaze, and they both rolled their eyes.

"What's the plan, O Genius Warrior?" Ambrosius asked.

"Why would I have the plan?" Aurelius asked innocently. "I'm just the muscle, O Future King. Shouldn't His Highness have a plan?"

Niamh said, "Ambrosius, you should start a fire on the far side to distract them. Aurelius can sneak around and cut off their rear and I...will shoot them. With arrows."

"Why does the page have a plan?" Aurelius asked.

"Because he's looking to make squire." Ambrosius handed Niamh his quiver. "Take my arrows."

"We need a back-up plan, of course," Niamh said reasonably. "In case one or both of you are captured and held for ransom."

Aurelius had gone to draw his sword; he paused. "Do you have to think of everything?"

"You're the king's sons. I must be prepared." Niamh shoved Ambrosius's arrows into her quiver.

"He's right," Ambrosius said. "If we get taken by King Lars, Father will -"

"Start a war," Aurelius said brightly.

"If I get taken, on the other hand," Niamh said, "you two can get home free." She started to slither forward on her stomach, ready to make a one-man rally against King Lars's troops.

Ambrosius caught her arm. "Are you mad?"

"It's the best plan we've got." Niamh looked up at him. "Have you seen how many men there are?"

"That doesn't matter," Ambrosius said.

Aurelius shook his head. "Niall's right. You're heir to the throne. You have to get home."

"Just me?" Ambrosius asked. "But we're both princes --"

"I'm the second son," Aurelius said. "I'll protect Niall. You go."

"But the plan --"

"Set the fire and go."

Ambrosius pressed his lips into a thin line. "No, Aurelius, I'm not leaving you -"

"Go," Aurelius said. He tugged on Niall's elbow. "Come on. We have to protect the prince."

Niall looked at Ambrosius. "Good luck, My Lord."

"Niall --" Ambrosius began.

She fired an arrow.

No comments: