Laura dialed her own number with shaking hands. She had to erase the last four digits and retype them three times before she got it right. She counted the rings on the other end and felt her throat close when it sounded like she would get voicemail. But then she heard her own voice curled with Crawford’s sleep-slurred accent.
“You’ve got Laura,” he said.
“Crawford, it’s me.”
As always, at the sound of his own voice, he became more alert. “Laura, what’s wrong? Are you hurt? What’s happening?”
“I did something bad,” she said, and self-loathing swept through her when her voice caught in a sob. She didn’t know if the emotion was her own or backlash from Crawford’s male hormones or what, and she was tired of second-guessing herself and who she was because she was trapped in his body. Dammit, she still had her own soul. Didn’t she?
“What do you mean?” Crawford asked. “Is it the press? What did they catch you doing?”
Laura shook her head, swiped one of Crawford’s big, rough hands over her - his - stinging eyes. She was the one crying; right now they were her eyes. “No. They don’t know anything. And I don’t think they will. I’m so sorry.”
Crawford sighed. “Look, I’m not going to get angry. Just tell me what happened.”
Laura took a deep breath. Crawford’s voice shook, and she hated that too. “I told Riley.”
“Told Riley what?” Crawford asked patiently.
“How I feel.”
“How do you feel about Riley?”
“I’m in love with him.”
“What?”
Laura hadn’t even known her voice could hit that note. She cringed. “You said you wouldn’t be angry.”
“I didn't think you’d just gone and made my best mate afraid that I’m in love with him!” Crawford hissed.
“I didn’t mean to,” Laura said. “It just came out, and now - now he hates us.” When she closed her eyes, she could see the expression on Riley’s face - revulsion and fear and fury.
“You mean me. He hates me,” Crawford huffed. “What did he say?”
“He didn’t say anything. He just got up and left.”
“Did you tell him out in public?” Again with that unnaturally high note.
“We were in a cafĂ©. Don’t worry - no one else heard.” Laura sniffled. “I’m sorry. I just - couldn’t do it any longer.”
“Do what?”
“See him every day and not tell him.”
“Yeah, but as far as he knows, you aren’t you - you’re me.” Crawford groaned. “Riley’s the best friend I’ve had in forever. Are you insane?”
“I think so,” Laura said quietly.
On the other end, Crawford was silent. “This can’t go on. I’m borrowing money from Deanna and I’m flying over there as soon as possible, and we have to tell everyone.”
“Okay,” Laura said, and again, “I’m sorry.”
“You should be. I worked hard to keep your life intact.”
Laura sniffled again. “Crawford --”
“Don’t bloody well apologize again. Just - pick me up at the airport.”
(497 words)
No comments:
Post a Comment