Monday, February 7, 2011

If You Ever Come Back - The Script

Tobias opened the door at the top of the stairwell and paused. The hallway light over James’s door was on, a bright beacon to welcome a weary traveler home. At three a.m., Tobias had it on good authority that James wasn’t expecting anyone home. Unannounced visits were usually the best way to assess James’s condition, and Tobias was without peer when it came to dropping by unannounced. He prowled down the hallway toward the door, footsteps silent. The door to James’s flat was ajar, and - there, Tobias could see a gleam of metal. The door had been left on the latch.

Tobias nudged the welcome mat aside with the toe of his sneaker and glimpsed more metal - the spare key.

James was asking for a home invasion.

Tobias palmed the knife from the small of his back and eased the door open. The bedroom and bathroom were dark, but there was light from the kitchen. Tobias headed for the kitchen, still moving silently, ready for whatever criminal disaster James had got himself into. Tobias pressed himself against the wall next to the kitchen door, ready to kick it down and dispatch with any would-be kidnappers or murderers. He slid a hand toward the doorknob and –

“Asia, is that you?”

Tobias flinched at her name.

James tugged open the kitchen door. “Asia?”

“No, it’s me.” Tobias slid his knife back into its sheath and straightened up.

James’s bright smile dimmed, but only for a moment. “Oh, hey Tobias. What brings you to London?”

“DJ had a runway show.” Tobias smiled cautiously. “I thought I’d stop by and say hello. I didn’t think you’d be awake, but the front door was open –”

“I’ve been a night owl as of late.” James beckoned. “Come on in – I have the kettle on.”

Tobias followed James into the kitchen and saw that it was just as quirky as Asia had kept it, with jars of herbs and spices lining the window sills and ledges in perfect alphabetical order. There were two places set at the bar, but it looked like only one had been used for a meal.

“Were you expecting someone?” Tobias asked. “If I’m interrupting, I can go.”

James shook his head, shrugged. “I wasn’t expecting anyone, exactly.”

Tobias heard hesitation in James’s voice. “But...?” he prompted.

“In case Asia ever comes back,” James said. “Thought I’d leave things how she likes them.”

Tobias opened his mouth to tell James, for the thousandth time, that Asia was dead (and she wasn’t, not really, but she was dead for James, and he had to face that reality sooner or later). But Tobias remembered waking up and realizing he’d never look into her eyes again, and he smiled at James, more brightly this time, and said,

“How about a cuppa, then?”

(467 Words)

(click on the title to hear the song)

1 comment:

Madness said...

I always love Tobias and I like how well you have incorporated the new James into the verse. I also liked how well Tobias handled the situation and how he was not brutal in dealing with another Asia death.