Friday, February 18, 2011

Learn to Fly

“If men were meant to fly, they’d have been born with wings,” Christian said. He stood on the edge of the tarmac and eyed the gleaming DC-5 with distrust.

Angel arched one eyebrow and levitated a coin briefly above his palm. “Or fairy dust.”

Even after six centuries (during which Christian had mostly been asleep, but the principle still applied) a poke at his inhumanity never failed to make him blush.

“We’re called Quislai,” Christian said huffily.

“But you can fly,” Angel said.

“No I can’t. Not really.”

“Well, Quislai can fly.”

“I stand by my statement,” Christian said.

“Then maybe you’re right, but...then that means you’re not really a man, are you?” Angel grinned.

“I am too a man. Just not a human one,” Christian said stiffly. He curled his hand around the handle of his suitcase.

“Well then, man up and let’s get this show on the road. Come on – your first commercial passenger flight. There’s nothing to worry about. If the plane starts to fall out of the sky, you and I are guaranteed to survive.” Angel clapped Christian on the shoulder and started toward the airplane. An attractive young woman in a smart uniform - they called them stewardesses - stood at the top of the metal stairs, waiting to greet him.

Christian took a deep breath, then followed. He really didn’t have a choice. And maybe he would learn something in this place called Egypt where Angel had once lived before. Maybe he would learn more about Angel...and her.

(261 words)

No comments: