Monday, March 14, 2011

And a Spare

Mr. and Mrs. Cohen stood over the bassinet and gazed down at their son.

“Nicodemus is a noble name,” Mr. Cohen said.

“Compared to Jonathan, you don’t think it’s a bit...austere?” Mrs. Cohen asked.

“He’s a Cohen,” Mr. Cohen said. The baby boy in the bassinet blinked big, dark eyes up at his father and pressed his tiny chubby fist to his mouth. “He will adjust as is necessary. Children are more resilient than we give them credit for.”

Mrs. Cohen eyed the blue romper suit the nanny had chosen; she didn’t like the color, but the baby seemed comfortable. “I really liked David, though. It would be poetic, don’t you think? Jonathan and David.”

Mr. Cohen shot her a withering look. “You know what people today say about Jonathan and David. Besides, Jonathan was prince, but it was David who became king. That’s not how things will be in this house.”

Mrs. Cohen nodded and stepped back from the bassinet. “I know. Heir and a spare. Jonathan already takes after his father.”

Mr. Cohen cast the baby one last look before turning and heading for the door. “I’d prefer it if we didn’t need a spare, but life never gives us the guarantees we want. Now come along – I want to hear from the tutors how Jonathan is doing.”

The door swung shut, and the baby was left staring up at the ceiling and wondering when a pleasant face would come back.

(244 words)

No comments: