"Where are you going?" James asked. He stood to the side as he watched his friend packing an old leather backpack; the type you would associate with a long journey.
"I don't really know. Not yet at least," Brandon replied as he placed another item in the bag. Piled along side the bag was a long walking stick and a map, a rain coat and a pair of sturdy boots.
"I guess a better question would be why are you going?" James said.
Brandon mumbled something under his breath.
"I didn't quite catch that mate," James said and he leaned closer.
"Beyond the East the sunrise, beyond the West the sea. And East and West, the wanderthirst that will never let me be. It works in me like madness to bid me say goodbye. For the seas call and the stars call, and oh, the call of the sky," Brandon quoted.
James blinked in surprise at the intensity. Not only of his friend but also of the poem. In those few lines he began to understand what drove his friend to travel.
"Would you mind if I joined you?" James asked after a moment, the words of the poem still echoing in he mind, reverberating with a hidden power.
"I wouldn't mind at all," Brandon said with a smile, "long roads seem shorter with a friend at your side."
1 comment:
That poem is totally a staple of yours. I liked this. It was refreshing to see random characters. For a moment I was confused because I have characters with a same name and I didn't remember writing that scene. I liked the Interaction and friendship between the characters. You used some second person POV, which was a bit jarring. Also, you have a habit if stringing an action onto a dialogue tag every time. Reread and see what you notice.
Good job.
Post a Comment