“I don’t know why more people don’t read the Bible,” Angel said. “It’s very comforting, no matter your religion.”
Asia tipped her head back against the coolness of the cement wall. “It’s only comforting if you believe its words. Otherwise it’s just...Early Modern English poetry, and not great poetry, for that matter.”
Angel smiled faintly. “Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil –”
“Because I am the God of Death, and this is my valley, baby,” Christian said, and he grinned.
Jo Seung peered up at them from the opposite corner. “They’re gonna torture us, aren’t they?”
Asia glanced toward the door. On the other side, they could hear the faint rattlings and mumblings of their captors. “Probably,” she said.
Christian shot her a look.
Asia arched an eyebrow and continued blithely. “Not just them, though. They’ve been paid, so they’ll pass us on to whoever wants us next.”
“You sound remarkably calm,” Jo Seung said.
Angel leaned in to her and said, too low for human ears to hear, “Just because we don’t die doesn’t mean we don’t feel pain.”
“Did you really think this was the first time I’d been captured?” Asia asked.
“I’ve been captured before too, obviously,” Angel said. “Usually I escaped – or died temporarily.”
Asia said flatly, “They don’t treat men and women the same in captivity.”
Angel’s mouth closed so fast his teeth clicked.
Outside the door, someone began to scream. Jo Seung flinched.
Angel said, “Ignore it – it’s just a recording.”
Jo Seung shook his head. “No – it’s Jamal. I know his voice!” His face was pale, his eyes wide.
“It’s a recording,” Angel said again.
Jo Seung began to shake.
Angel slid closer to him, wrapped an arm around his shoulders, began to murmur softly.
“That’s from the Qu’ran,” Asia said. “He’s Korean. Try something – Buddhist.”
“That’s stereotyping,” Jo Seung. “I’m Christian.”
Christian said, “Forget religion.” He shuffled closer to Jo Seung, nudged the boy’s shoulder with his. “Cowards die many times before their deaths, the valiant never taste of death but once.”
“I’ve been valiant,” Jo Seung said. “I’ve served The Change. But I’m pretty sure I will die a thousand times before these people are done with me.”
“If you like,” Asia said, “you only need die the one.”
Angel blinked. “What?”
But Jo Seung nodded. “Please.”
Asia turned to Angel and said, “What other holy books have you read?”
Angel began to recite from the Rig Vedas, and Asia closed her hands around Jo Seung’s neck. He was smiling as he listened, and then he closed his eyes, and Asia twisted.
(442 words)
No comments:
Post a Comment