I had a good time with this project. Some of my poems didn't really make sense, but then again, it doesn't always have to. Closed form is enjoyable in that you have a definite structure to follow, but also confining when you have ideas that would go beyond the bounds of the structure.
I noticed that I leaned on angst, and while angst can make for powerful poetry, I should probably branch out more. Angst just flowed well this week, so on my final poem, the Villanelle, I purposefully chose to focus on something other than heartbreak or anger.
The Triolet: I love the tight rhyming schemes of the closed form, and it was tough to say all you wanted within the confines of the set form. In the Villanelle and the Triolet I liked the refrain repeating, almost making it a litany.
The Rondeau: Again the tight rhyming and the repetition of a few lines really made them have a greater impact than a poem that never repeats a line. Death, anger, loathing... are we seeing a pattern here.... ha. I am actually feeling none of these. The poem probably would have been more powerful if I actually was.
The Tanka: This one was interesting. Trying to fit what I wanted to say within the syllable count. But the simplicity of the Haiku and the Tanka are wonderful.
The Cinquain: Okay I know this one didn't make much sense, so I will be re-writing it at some later point.
The Spencerian Sonnet is a derivation of the regular English sonnet, except that it ignores the meter. Only the rhyming is important. I did notice that I avoided poems that had a set meter.
The English sonnet was a pleasant one to write, nice and familiar in form.
No comments:
Post a Comment