Sunday, December 7, 2008
Overview #7 - Closed-form Poetry
Ah, this was an almighty challenge, one that I perhaps should not have issued upon myself in the weeks preceding second year's fall session of exams. Still, it was fun to do. I was probably far more lazy about certain things, like meter and perfect rhyme, than strictly calls for, but I confess I am little of a poet, and this exercise was interesting. Even though I'm awful at writing poetry, I've read enough poetry to know the difference between good and bad poetry and to have a sense of how to make meter and rhyme function. It was difficult not to have the same theme in every single poem. I noticed there was a lot going on about the unspoken - in the triolet, in the rondeau, and even in my final cinquain. I wonder what that was about. Probably because I have a tendency not to say things others think I ought to say. The best sonnet I ever wrote was in ninth grade and had perfect meter and rhyme and was about vampires, but I lost it a long time ago and was very sad, I attempted to recreate it, though I know this was nowhere near the same poem I wrote at thirteen. Perhaps the poem I was most pleased with is the Sestina, because the structure of the piece is much harder than at first blush. I enjoyed the almost ballad quality to the final piece and was amazed that I survived. I learned that it's not cheating to use the same word the same way twice in one poem. I did enjoy the haiku - it's not the first bilingual one I've written. (I confess, that's half the reason I wanted to learn Japanese, so I could write proper Haiku). All in all, this was a good stroll down memory lane, back to high school creative writing classes as well as to college, where I remember learning about poetry and came to respect those who can work within a closed form.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment