“Did you like it?” Jenna asked.
“Not at all,” Thomas said without looking up from the newspaper.
Matthew frowned and blew on the surface of his coffee in faint hopes of cooling it. “Really? I thought it was at least halfway decent.”
“Halfway decent?” Jenna echoed. “That’s not really flattering.”
Matthew arched an eyebrow. “Were you asking for flattery? Because last night you insisted on a whole lot of honesty --”
Jenna’s indignation devolved into laughter, and she tossed a hand towel at Matthew, who caught it deftly from mid-air. “I wasn’t talking about last night, and you know it!”
“Did I really? Because all I heard was a question, ‘did you like it?’ And judging by your tone, you wanted honesty --” Matthew’s voice had taken on a didactic edge.
“Now, now, children,” Thomas began.
“Don’t even start with the children. Please. Not this morning.” Gina hauled herself into the only other empty chair at the kitchen table and slumped over, resting her head on her arms. “I never want to see another human being under the age of fourteen for the rest of my life.”
Thomas peered at her over the top of his newspaper. “Don’t you teach first grade?”
Gina glared weakly and closed her eyes.
Matthew patted her shoulder with mock-sympathy. “A little hung over, are we?”
“Not so hung over I can’t pound you into the ground,” Gina said.
Matthew puffed his chest out. “I’d like to see that.”
Jenna laughed. “So would I.”
(249 words)
No comments:
Post a Comment