Sunday, April 19, 2009

An Edna St. Vincent-Millay Break-up

“The rain is full of ghosts tonight, that tap and sigh upon the glass.”

“I shall forget you presently, my dear.”

“I would indeed that love were longer lived.”

“If you entreat me with your loveliest lie I will protest you with my favorite vow.”

“I think I should have loved you presently.”

“You are betrayed. Here is no treasure hid.”

“Time does not bring relief. You all have lied.”

“This door you might not open, and you did.”

“And you no longer look with love on me.”

“I find this frenzy insufficient reason for conversation when we meet again.”

“Some sane day, not to bright and not too stormy, I shall be gone, and you may whistle for me.”

“Let me make it plain: I must never more behold your face.”

“This now is yours. I seek another place.”

(140 words)

1 comment:

Madness said...

I love Edna. I am so glad that you introduced me to her work.