“I’ll trade you,” Dan said. He jangled a handful of coins.
The little Thai boy considered for a few moments, then reached out, snatched the quarter off of Dan’s outstretched hand. He dropped a few crumpled low-denomination Baht bills and coins into Dan’s hand and then scampered away.
Carolyn jumped down off the instrument rig. “What have you got there?”
“I’ve decided to collect money from every country we’ve been to,” Dan said. “So far I’ve got francs, pounds, lire, pesos, rupiah, ringgit, and now baht.”
“You don’t have any good old-fashioned American dollars?” Carolyn eyed his collection.
Dan arched an eyebrow; how he managed to look so imperious at thirteen, Carolyn would never know. “I have Canadian dollars.”
“True, true. You don’t have any German Deutschmarks? Or Portuguese Escudos?” Carolyn reached out and pawed through the jumbled collection of bills and coins.
“I...don’t know.” Dan joined her in the search. “I guess I don’t. Do you have any?”
Carolyn jammed her hands into her pockets, a gesture taken straight from Bob. “I might do. What have you got for me?”
“What are you looking for?”
Carolyn knew her smile was razor-sharp. “How embarrassing has the latest round of fanmail been?”
(205 words)
1 comment:
LOL. I have to be quiet though. I'm in the library.
Ohh, I would love to see a post where Caro gets to read fanmail. That would be great!
Post a Comment