Monday, October 19, 2009

Four Years Since

Bob knelt in the small wooden booth, crossed himself, and waited for the screen to open.

“Bless me, Father, for I have sinned. It’s been four years since my last confession,” he said.

“Speak, my child.”

He started small - sneaking cigarettes from John’s stash, saying yes when he should’ve said no to beer cans from Captain Lyle, all the times he was horrible to his brothers and Shelley and his father.

The priest broke in. “Maybe just say you suffer from impatience and a lack of charity and do your best to work on that, okay?”

Bob nodded, then remembered the priest couldn’t see him and said, “Yes, Father.”

“What’s really on your mind, son?”

“I don’t want to die.”

(120 words)

1 comment:

Madness said...

Great confessional scene. I wouldn't have thought of that. Very well played. And I like how it's the sanctity of the confessional so he confesses, but doesn't really, at least not to anyone that could say anything about it.