Friday, October 23, 2009

Yes It Is

“I’ll be fine,” Bob insisted.

“Shut up,” Clay said gently. “You’re sick.”

“We can tour. Really. I just need a couple of days to rest,” Bob said.

Kevin reached for the phone. “So if I call the label rep --”

Bob started to nod his assent; Clay and Scott exchanged desperate looks. Why did Bob always give in?

“I don’t want to renew my contract,” Dan said.

Scott shot him an apprehensive look. “Danny --”

“I’m done. We had our fun, but I want a normal life. I want to go to college.” Dan met his father’s gaze evenly, but his hands shook. The other two triplets looked alarmed.

Kevin’s jaw tightened. “Daniel, be reasonable --”

“I’m sick of living on the road and hearing girls scream in my sleep.” Dan’s hands curled into fists.

Kevin attempted a winning smile. “The girls love you.”

Dan said, "I'm gay."

The other three froze.

Kevin’s face went blank. “What?

“I’m gay and I have a boyfriend and we’re going to college together,” Dan said.

Rage flashed in Kevin’s eyes. “No son of mine is like that.

“Well I am!”

Kevin swung at him.

Dan automatically moved to block, but then Bob was in front of him, one hand on his father’s wrist. Kevin looked stunned. All Clay could think was, Nice reflexes.

Bob’s eyes were dark with fury. “You promised you’d never touch them.”

Kevin swallowed hard, tugged free of Bob’s wrist. “Robert, I...”

“I think enough is enough,” Scott said quietly. “I’ve stood by and watched for too long what you’ve done to my little brothers, and it ends now.”

Kevin’s expression hardened, and he lifted his chin defiantly. “Is that your decision?”

The other three boys formed a wall around Scott, staring their father down.


Scott said, “Yes, it is.”

(297 words)

No comments: