Sunday, November 29, 2009

Overview #49: Fairytale Remix

Once we did a longer, more complex version of this challenge on Heavy Noir, and recently I read through some fairytale remixes, and I thought it would be fun to do some brief ones, in the vein of the comic A Softer World or maybe even A Merlin World. I like mythological and fairytale remixes, especially in urban fantasy settings the way Neil Gaiman does them. It's also fun to play with gender roles or give characters more personality or spine than they had in the original tale and see where that takes us, or to suggest that a less pleasant, less romantic version is the true version.

I'm pretty lame at most genres besides action thrillers and badly-ending romances, and I figure a few exercises in other genres is a lot of fun.

I couldn't resist a little Arthurian Legend thrown in for good measure.

No comments: