Sunday, November 30, 2008
Overview #6 - Shakespeare
This was a really fun challenge. The difficulty for me, of course, was in resisting the urge to lines lines from all my favorite plays. I ended up failing as Twelfth NIght, Othello, and Julius Caesar all ended up on the chopping block. It was surprisingly easy to pick some of the lesser-known quotes because the famous ones don't often lend themselves to modern conversation unless used as a direct allusion. This week's project was, for me, really an exercise in dialogue. There was at least one piece wherein the quote I used wasn't spoken aloud, but then it was written in a note, which has more or less the same effect of the spoken word. I was eager to use my favorite line from Venus & Adonis, so that came first, hands down. I felt like the old-fashioned diction didn't always lend itself to the use to which I put it, and that annoys me in retrospect. I also did feel as though I was stalling out. Dialogue is one of my favorite methods of characterizations, because what people say reveals so much of who they are, and I should have stretched myself, looked for a way to hide the quote in the description of a place or thing. Maybe if we do a reprise of this challenge I can try for that. Overall, however, it was an enjoyable exercise, and I got to flex my wings a bit with dialogue.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment