It wasn’t the first time we had slept in the same bed. We had spent countless nights on his twin-sized bed in his old apartment, cramped and clinging to one another so one of us wouldn’t fall to the floor in the middle of the night.
Our first real purchase as a couple was a queen-sized mattress. We were too poor to afford a frame, so it simply laid on top of a box spring on the floor. I had put brand new red cotton sheets on it, and it had been there waiting for us once night came.
That morning, I woke up and rolled over to find him soundly sleeping. For a few minutes, all I could do was just stare in amazement. This morning, this bed, this apartment meant so many things to me. It was the beginning of our life. We were no longer separated by hers and his. Everything was now ours.
I put my arm around his sleeping form, which made him stir. He was always a light sleeper. He opened his eyes and smiled at me. I smiled back, moving closer. He mumbled, “Good morning,” in his still sleepy voice.
It was then that I leaned in and kissed him, trying to put all of my hope and joy into that one intimate detail. I pulled away slowly, and replied, “Yes. It is.”
(231 words)
2 comments:
Ooooh. A lot of impact behind so small a kiss. Wow. Well done. Your sense of implication is seriously powerful. The little details about the bed and the sheets and the sense of the unsaid is rock solid. Go you!
I really liked this one a lot. It is so very real. The sharing a bed, getting a bigger bed, but not having a bed frame. The context of the kiss was wonderful.
Post a Comment