Saturday, August 1, 2009

Never Really Warm

“Can you believe it? It’s our last Christmas as law students.” Melanie’s voice was always bright and bubbly, and Carolyn couldn’t help but smile.

She shivered and blew on her hands, phone cradled against her shoulder. “I know - time has gone so fast.”

“I know the break is going to go so fast, and --” Melanie broke off, and then Carolyn heard her squeal.

She hadn’t realized humans could hear that pitch.

“Are you all right?”

“Pierce, you are not going to believe this.”

“Believe what?” At least Melanie was all right. She’d submitted to self-defense lessons easily enough, but she’d never developed the necessary aggression to actually win a fight.

“Four Times Summer is getting back together for the annual CTV Christmas concert! I know you love them too, right?” School-girl giggles erupted on the other end of the line.

Carolyn sank down on the window seat, stared down at the snowy street. Her breath misted on the glass. “Yeah, I love their music a lot.”

“Oh, wow, this is like the best Christmas present ever. You have got to catch this on the Internet.”

“I will.” Carolyn felt her chest constrict, and suddenly it was hard to breathe. Then she heard the beep of a call waiting, and she stared down at her phone, at the international number. “Hey, I gotta go - my brother’s on the phone.”

“All right - enjoy your Christmas, and have fun with your family!” Melanie’s voice vanished.

Carolyn had never told Melanie that the only family she’d ever had was a motley crew of roadies, musicians, and government operatives. She switched lines, and then John said,

“You know what the worst part of winter is?”

“The Christmas cheer you so despise and the children who offer you candy canes?”

“Frickin’ Siberia.”

Carolyn could hear his teeth chattering. “What a lame place to be stationed.”

“Yeah, that’s real sympathetic from the girl who’s already retired.”

“Semi-retired,” Carolyn reminded him. “Else I wouldn’t be talking to you, would I?”

“Who else would you be talking to on Christmas Eve?”

He hadn’t meant it to be as cutting as it was, but Carolyn felt the blow land anyway. “As always, Mr. Ianevski, you make a fine point.”

“...I didn’t mean it like that.”

“I know.” Carolyn closed her eyes and rested her forehead against the icy glass. “You know what the worst part about winter is?”

“What?”

“How you can never really get warm.”

John’s breath hitched behind the chattering of his teeth. “It’s been three years. He’s forgotten all about you.”

“Merry Christmas to you, too.”

“I’ll be back in time for New Year’s, all right? We can go to the Officers’ Ball together.”

Carolyn had to smile at his enthusiasm. “Sure. I’ll dust off my dancing shoes.”

“All right, I have some double agents to kill.”

“Be careful.”

“I will. Merry Christmas.”

“Good night.”

1 comment:

Madness said...

I like seeing more of John. He was more of a vague presence before, but he is starting to come into focus for me. I also like how he knows her well enough to know what she is thinking about, what she means.