Sunday, September 6, 2009

Overview #40: Secrets

This was a pretty fun challenge for me, seeing where I could expand on some of the other characters in my universe who don't get so much love. Given that Carolyn's a secret agent, I thought playing too much on her secrets wouldn't be as fun, so I tried to pick other secrets that would give the characters some new depth. Since I'm still trying to plot the final resolution of this storyline and I know it'll involve John, I figured I'd give him a shot. As he's an agent like Carolyn, he'd be pretty observant and know things about the boys that no one else knows, and it was fun exploring who he was, his voice and his personality. I figured Scott deserved more depth to his character than just being the loud, boisterous front man. Carolyn needed a secret, one that wasn't tied to her tenure as an agent. And I wanted to give Shelley a voice, too, since hardly anything is really written from her POV. I figured I'd also explore sections of the plot that haven't been given as much attention, like Carolyn's time in college (and Melanie's POV as her only friend there) and Bob's time in the hospital. (Also, I've been watching Blood Ties and figured I might as well publicly acknowledge my shame.) Still, learning what characters keep secret from each other and to themselves was an eye-opening experience as far as development goes, and I had a good time.

Madness, you're up this week to pick the project assignment. Jaded Chaos, tell us who our winner is!

1 comment:

Chaos said...

Madness is our winner!

I PROMISE I WILL WRITE THIS WEEK!!!