Sunday, September 13, 2009

Overview #41: Hobbies

Wow. This was surprisingly hard and reminded me how little I know some things about my characters. I gave Dan collecting random foreign currency because, well, when I was a kid, that's what I did, and I can see Dan having that same sentimentality going on. I let Clay be a chess genius because, well, I figured he deserved more love than angsting over his twin brother's girlfriend. I figured Scott and poetry would be a fun one because it does make sense, given how he's a bit of an esoteric lyricist ("without orchids in my pockets" anyone at all?), and also I have awesome memories of late nights with my girls reading random snatches of poetry to each other. (I shall confess I totally stole the poetry I used off of the HN poetry thread.) I couldn't think of a hobby for Carolyn that wasn't something combat-related, and I guess I didn't want to harp on her agent-ness too much (although, in retrospect, Agent!Carolyn doesn't really get enough love, does she?), and I couldn't think of any decent hobbies for Bob that didn't include drawing (seemed unlikely), so I went for creative dating. Kind of a hobby, right? I figured Dinah needed some love, and I remember how much my mom liked playing with my hair and trying out new braids, so I wove that in there. Plus Bob did have such pretty long hair back in the day. Listening to music in the dark is totally something I still do, and I have some awesome memories of hanging out with my friend Karen, blissing out to music and nothing more. Also, raw and obscure but totally fangirl music is definitely a hobby of mine these days. ("Curtains Are Moving." On YouTube. The girl cover is pretty good, and Iris Campo's is good, but the desolation in the original is for the win.)

Still, this was a good chance to explore my characters, and I think they're progressing pretty well.

Also, I think I win this week, but that's technically up to Madness.

Oooh, what will I write for myself? I might have to steal Hotch from Chanita...

No comments: