Friday, November 19, 2010

Family Dinner

“Ma, ‘m hungry.” The little boy reached up and tugged on the woman’s sleeve.

She sighed and pushed her glasses higher up her nose. “I know, darling, Mama just needs a few more minutes.”

The boy pouted and crossed his arms over his chest. “I’m old enough to get food on my own now.”

“No you’re not,” the woman said absently, flicking beads on her abacus with inhuman speed. “You’re still grounded from feeding off the neighbours’ niece last month.”

“She was O positive. I like O positive,” the boy said. He pouted some more.

“You can’t always get the type you want.” The woman wrote some neat figures in her ledger and turned the page. “Back when I was a little girl, we had to hunt people in the middle of the night, and we were glad for what we could get.”

The boy rolled his eyes. “I know - you had to sleep in sewers and abandoned graves and sometimes steal from blood banks.”

The woman glanced at her watch. “Your father will be home from work soon. He promised to help you work on your bat transformation tonight, didn’t he?”

“Yes, Mama.”

“Go play some Castlevania until Daddy gets home, okay?”

“Yes, Mama.” The boy sighed and slunk away. He reached up and prodded one of his fangs - distended from hunger - and resigned himself to his DS until his father came home.

(234 words)

No comments: