Sunday, November 14, 2010

Overview #74: Critical Scenes

This was tough, to try to capture all the momentum of an entire plot line in a single scene barely 500 words long. It was hard to resist the urge to throw down background details, and I'm pretty sure sometimes I failed, but it was fun to dive in and see which scenes would matter most. It was hard to make the characters real without the plot-building that makes things awesome, but I made a good run of it, and I think I learned something about characters. Also names. It was hard to come up with names on the fly that didn't all sound the same, because when I'm writing I work with a set of given characters until their time in my mental menagerie is done, and all their names through their various incarnations are just riffs off of each other, and I couldn't do that here lest I risked basically reiterating the same plots and characters. It was interesting to see how the last scene started off with a UK name and turned the setting UK without me thinking about it.

Still, a fun exercise in feeding plot bunnies. Here's to not falling so behind next week.

No comments: