"La lune et le soleil
Se souviendraient de toi
Comment veux-tu que moi
Tout à coup je t’oublie."
“Your girlfriend looks good up there,” Tim said, and nodded up at the stage where Sylvie was singing.
“Ex-girlfriend,” Ben muttered into his drink.
“She’s got a pretty voice,” Kevin offered.
“It’s a pretty song,” Tim agreed.
Ben growled. “Will you two knock it off?”
Kevin studied Sylvie as she curled around the microphone, crooning. “She looks angry, actually.”
"Et que les grands murs blancs
De mon appartement
Se referment sur moi
Comme un cinérama.
Je t’oublierai, je t’oublierai, je t’oublierai..."
The music crescendoed, and Sylvie lifted her head. Her eyes flashed, and her voice swelled to fill the room.
“She sounds angry, too,” Tim said.
Ben resisted the urge to kick him under the table. “What the hell is she saying, anyway? Over and over again. Zhuh too blee ray. What does that mean?”
The girl at the table beside them said, “It’s French. It means ‘I will forget you’.”
“Oh,” Ben said.
The girl smiled up at Sylvie and waved. “You should hear the next number.”
“Sylvie’s not singing.”
“It’s an ensemble piece - called the Cell Block Tango.”
(Word count: 200 on the nose with the French messing things up; lyrics are here; video is here; I decided to try for someone singing for once instead of just using lyrics as dialogue)
1 comment:
I very much liked the french song. Gentle but with a long of meaning. I especially liked the line about the cell block tango, very funny!
I do get about the misplaced modifiers now, thank you, I will be careful when I read over my work before posting.
Post a Comment