Marcus doesn’t ask if his mother loves his father, because he knows. He despises the man who walked out and left his mother to face the world, alone, with a new child. Marcus knows his mother loves him and doesn’t think him a mistake, but sometimes he knows he hurts her, when he says or does something that makes him look just like his father.
Marcus can sing, and he sings in a band with his best friend Jamie. He got his voice from his mother, for she loves to sing, and she’s sung him one song since his childhood. He thought it was a lullaby when he was younger, but now he knows the truth.
“I love him
But every day I'm learning
All my life I've only been pretending
Without me his world will go on turning
A world that's full of happiness
That I have never known.”
It’s a song from a musical, one Marcus has heard many times before. He realizes what it means when his mother sings it, so when a stranger knocks on the door and asks to see his mother, says it’s about his father, Marcus says the man has the wrong address.
(I know this is probably overused in songfics, but I've always wanted to write it. Lyrics are here (although you probably know them all) and the video is here (it's my favorite version, as there are many, but I know you know what it sounds like).
1 comment:
Fantastic use of a classic! That is my favorite version also.
I like how you blended the call for love into a lullaby.
I also like how Marcus rejects any information about his father. I can see a project that would incorporate snatched from the entire musical.
Post a Comment