Saturday, June 27, 2009

Breaking

It was the middle of the night, and I was desperate. I needed a beer.

The night was cool. The smell of rain lifted from the sidewalk towards the sky and I inhaled deeply, smiled for the first time that day.

So much for a happy ending to a bad day. Some idiots, probably drunk, drove past me and threw a water balloon. All I wanted was a damn beer, a moment to think about all the bullshit that had gone on in the last twenty-four hour period.

I didn’t have my phone on me. Last thing I wanted was for Vince to call. I would answer, and do whatever he asked me to do. I needed a moment to myself, though truth be told, alone was probably the worst thing for me to be right now.

But the town was quiet as I approached the intersection, pressed the button on the traffic light to cross. It was a Sunday, so all the good God fearing people were at home reading their Bibles. All I wanted was a drink.

The bright neon lights made everything seem pale and sickly or drenched in red - it depended on if you were caught in the loud, red glow of the gas station sign. I walked in, grabbed a couple of six packs of fairly weak beer.

I had been concentrating on my goal since I walked through the door, so it wasn’t until I set the six packs down on the counter to pay for them that I noticed Corinn. Loud, stupid, fake redhead Corinn. And of course, she wanted to chat.

“Hey Samantha, going to a party?”

My expression must have told all because Corinn frowned and scanned the first six pack.

“You shouldn’t drink by yourself, you know. People will talk.”

In an instant, everything I had been holding back the entire day sparked and flamed and burst. I felt my eyes grow wide, my hands shake. My heartbeat thumped loudly in my ears.

“You know what Corinn? Maybe you should just shut your damn mouth! You’re half the reason people gossip in this town anyway!” I slammed a twenty on the counter, took my beer and stalked toward the door.

Corinn called after me, “Bitch!”

I didn’t bother to answer.

I knew Corinn didn’t smoke, so I was safe sitting by the pay phone to open up my first bottle of many for the night. I didn’t feel like walking home, didn’t feel like hearing drunk catcalls, hearing my phone ring, or worse, not ringing.

I was almost done with the first six pack when Vince showed up.

“What the hell, Sam? Corinn called Layla and she called me and told me you were down here drinkin’ and causin’ problems.” He was trying his best to not seem concerned. He’d become really good at it as of late.

“Yeah, well, maybe Corinn should stop being a gossiping whore and let me be.”

Vince rolled his eyes and shook his head. “Sam…”

I could feel him looking at me. I opened another bottle and swallowed half of its contents in seconds. He sat next to me and nudged me gently.

“Mind if I have one of those?”

“Here.” I gave him one, because eleven was just as good as twelve.

We drank in silence - a stale, distant silence.

Vince glanced my way, and I finally looked over. We said nothing, but it didn’t matter. We’d already forgiven each other.

(580 words)

2 comments:

Nagi said...

That was...whoa. A sucker punch without being heartwrenching. And the end was like the beginning, a first almost-smile for an almost-happy end to a bad day, as it were. The anger was palpable. The description "stale, distant silence" was seriously amazing. I started reading this and felt like I'd plunged into Hemingway (only better and without the run-on sentences).

Madness said...

I liked the description of the neon lights making everything look sickly, thought the final sentence of the same paragraph seemed incomplete, I think it's a comma splice, but not being an English major, I'm not positive.

I liked the description of Corrin. Fake, loud, stupid. I can see her.

I especially liked the line about the phone ringing or not ringing.

You have a flair for those lines.