Vince was – what’s that word again? – oh yeah, an enigma at times.
Unfortunately, that enigma liked to unravel right before my eyes whenever we were drinking more than just a six pack between us. When the hard stuff was brought out, our defenses dropped like rocks.
I never went to a party without him. I felt safe with him, more at ease with the people surrounding us. Together, we were a strange group of people – kids who were holding on to dreams of the past and ignoring the hard truths of the present.
“Sam, you’re my best friend.” He had a goofy smile on his face, and I knew he was crossing the Sober-Drunk state line.
“Uh huh, right, Vince.” I said it nicely, but any person liquored up or stone cold sober could hear the cynicism in my voice. I always wanted to believe it, and for a few short minutes, I let myself. I let myself believe that Vince considered me his best friend. Once, he told me he didn’t believe in the concept of best friends.
It had hurt, but then, so did a lot of other things.
“No, really, Samantha—“
“Don’t call me Samantha. You know I hate that.” I tried to sound annoyed and started to walk away, but he was the only person I would let call me Samantha, if it came down to it. It always sounded right when he said it aloud.
“Sam, Sam, Sam, no, don’t, c’mere.” Vince grabbed a hold of my arm and I stopped, and I felt a stupid smile creeping across my face. I both hated and loved us together this way, drunker than skunks, honest, frightening, and free.
“What, Vince?”
“Sam, I really do mean it. You’re my best friend.”
I closed my eyes, and opened them again slowly. “What happened to the Vince who didn’t believe in best friends?”
He chuckled and tugged my arm over towards the liquor and the empty shot glasses, concentrating hard on pouring two of the shots half full with Everclear. Vince then motioned me to grab a hold of mine, because the shot was best taken right after the tonic water was poured. It was a stupid way to get drunk, but it was quick and after a while, painless. It was our way.
“You are my best friend, Sam.” His eyes met mine and we looked at each other – I mean, really looked at each other. The party raged around us, but for some reason, I couldn’t hear or see anything else except his slight smirk, his hand reaching for the bottle of tonic water.
“And I promise you, I’ll say it the next time we’re together. When I’m high and dry. And I’ll mean it.” He quickly poured enough tonic to fill the shots and we downed them. I did my usual Everclear spasm and he cleared his throat. “Alright, it’s time to break the seal. Don’t go anywhere.” Vince stumbled a bit as he walked towards the bathroom, and the party continued in it’s normal haphazard fashion.
I haven’t heard him say it since then.
(520 words)
2 comments:
Oh. Oh. You broke my heart. I think I've discovered what makes these characters so real for me - it's words and phrases. Like "Sober-Drunk" state line and "break the seal" - they're very particular phrases to a group of friends or people, and they're what make Sam a real person in my mind.
That last line was FTW. In a punch-in-the-teeth sort of way.
You own first person.
I completely agree with Nagi. You broke my heart. Everything was so immediate and so strong. The feelings so potent that it was if I was in her place. The last line was a kick to the gut. Very powerful.
Post a Comment