Monday, June 29, 2009

King Pin

There weren’t many places to hang out in Fayeville. Vince and I always seemed to wind up at the bar (yes, one bar in a town of drunks), or at the bowling alley. I liked the nights where we pulled into the bowling alley parking lot more, because I knew I would have fun, instead of getting drunk and pretending to have fun.

The parking lot was fairly big, simply because business was usually booming every single night for one reason or another. Even though it was big, it had few lights, so what it did light up seemed ghostly. It kind of freaked me out sometimes. I hated going out to my truck alone when it got late. I always made Vince walk out with me.

Inside, you get thrown back a few decades, but in a teeny tiny town like Fayeville, you got used to it. It was like that everywhere you went. The pool tables stuck out like sore thumbs because Brad has only gotten them a few months ago. That’s what Vince and I did. We were slowly but surely becoming pool sharks.

“So what’ll it be tonight, Sam? Eight? Nine? Trick shots?” Vince was gathering the pool balls and putting them in the rack. I was mildly distracted by the rumble of the lanes, the whirring of the ball machines, the distant clicks and clacks of the one pinball machine that stood in the corner, lonely and itching for a quarter.

“Sam?”

“Hmmm?”

“Sam, why are you always spacing out on me? I think you’re coming down with a case of EDD or something.”

“It’s ADD, Vince. I’ll go get us some cues.”

(278 words)

3 comments:

Nagi said...

I liked the description of the parking lot - it seemed like a random place to describe, but you made it real, and I remember hanging out in parking lots. I wasn't sure what I thought of the second person. It seems implicitly okay, given that you're writing in first person, but second person always throws me off. I liked how you covered most of the senses, too - the description of the pinball machine was awesome.

Chaos said...

Yeah, I noticed that I was jumping POV's, but I think I'm used to writing in second when describing places. As weird as that is.

Madness said...

I liked the description of the inside of the bowling alley. Retro and modern mixing, but not in a good way. The pin ball machine is a nice touch.