Sunday, June 28, 2009

Overview #32: First Person POV

Okay, so while I don't think I totally suck at first person, I could definitely use some improvement. I noticed, and it was pointed out that I have inconsistencies in my characters. I think part of that is that they are still kind of new characters and so they don't have a set and definite personality and form yet. I liked the one from David's POV, and then I tried it from Arianna's. I found that as I was working with the others that they are to underdeveloped; I'm not really sure what they are prone to do at any given moment. I did enjoy viewing David from Arianna's perspective though. I am still having troubles with the technical aspect of writing, though I am slowly improving. It seems like it is good for a while, and then the misplaced modifiers of doom or some strange punctuation slips in. Perhaps those are the posts that I am hurrying to get written because the characters are not being cooperative. I will try this next week to be especially vigilant about that.

1 comment:

Nagi said...

I know what you mean about having characters surprise you by being more underdeveloped than you realize. It's not easy to keep your own canon straight (let's face it, George Lucas screwed up his own canon), but maybe, when you set out with a given weekly project and you know you're going to work with the boys and girls of the Special Ops universe, maybe go back and reread some old posts. I reread my old stuff all the time and catch inconsistencies, which drive me nuts. While this place is a good opportunity to try your characters out, half of making it all the way through a novel is not letting your characters escape.

Stephanie Meyer let her characters escape from her. It's why we even have Team Jacob.