Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Never Fully Bloom

It unfurls in my chest,
A shaking, shivering
Blossom,
Blue petals curled and
Heavy,
Wet from the spring of new life.
It sighs in a breeze of
Want,
Sudden and unexpected
As a ray of sunlight between storm clouds.

I water it with smiles exchanged and
The subtle warmth of his elbow
Against mine,
A chance glance into blue eyes and a casual
I’ll walk you to your car.

But it will never fully bloom,
Will linger, withered and bent
Beneath the weight of
Pages and words,
Statutes and precedents.

Beneath a shower of velvet-striped robes and
Flying caps
It will breathe its first - or last.

(107 words)

2 comments:

Madness said...

Beautifully longing Nagi. I liked the imagery of the flower in bloom and the uncertainty whether it will live or die. Watered with smiles exchanged I think is my favorite line.

Nagi said...

Woot! You caught the emotion I was going for, which was longing. I guess I didn't totally fail.