Monday, October 5, 2009

Accepted

“Vince, I’m sorry.” It came out quickly, and I was wondering if he had even understood what I said. I unconsciously rubbed my arms in an attempt to keep warm. It was starting to get cold, and I had once again forgotten a jacket.

“Sam, what are you even sorry for? Do you know?” Apparently a simple apology wasn’t gonna cut it this time. Vince wasn’t glaring at me, but he was giving me a look that could kill – well, it was killing me, at any rate.

“I’m sorry for…” I stumbled and tripped over all the thoughts in my head, trying to decide what the right answer was. Was there any answer at this point? “…f-for telling Layla how I felt about you, for getting in the middle, for potentially ruining the best thing in your life, for falling for you, for wanting to be with you, for everything.”

I turned away and started down the flight of stairs that led to the parking lot. In the last twenty-four hours, I may have destroyed the last good relationship I had left in my life. Vince was my world – he was the person I turned to when everything else became too much to handle. Life was simple with him. In reality, it was anything but simple. I loved him. And I had just let myself apologize for it.

My mind had been running miles and miles a minute, so I literally jumped when I felt Vince grab my arm. I turned to look at him, but he was already pulling me closer. His lips were on mine and I was in such a state of shock that at first, there wasn’t much I could do but just stand frozen. By the time I was ready to actually respond, he had already broken the contact and stepped back.

“Vince…” I wasn’t sure whether I was happy or furious.

“Sam, I’m sorry too.” Vince shook his head and turned away, going back up to his apartment.

I wasn’t entirely sure what was going on now. But this was far from over.

(349 words)

2 comments:

Nagi said...

Oooh. That was awkward and painful but so, so real. The line about loving someone and apologizing for it felt like the ultimate in self-betrayal. It's good to see Sam and Vince again.

Madness said...

I'm glad Sam and Vince are back, and you too Chaos, we've missed you.

Yet another powerful piece. You bring them and their feelings so close to the surface that to read it, you experience their pain.