Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Foster Care

“I’m so, so sorry!” Carolyn stepped back, hands pressed to her mouth.

The brothers gaped at where their sensei lay sprawled in the grass.

“I didn’t mean to hit you so hard,” Carolyn said. She tugged anxiously at one of her pigtails.

Scott and Clay looked at her with newfound admiration.

Dan leaned over, rested his hands on his knees. “Sensei Hammond, are you okay?”

“Yeah. Just - gimme a moment.” Sensei took a deep breath, then heaved himself up onto his knees. He clutched his stomach and eyed Carolyn. “You got a solid right hook there, sweetheart. Pull your punches from now on, okay?”

“Yes, sensei!” Carolyn bobbed her head obediently.

“You told her to punch you as hard as she could,” Bob pointed out.

Sensei nodded. “I know. I just wasn’t expecting such a tiny girl to pack such a huge hit.”

Carolyn ducked her head. “I’m really sorry, sensei.”

“Stop apologizing, kid,” he said. He turned to the boys and wagged a finger at them. “You boys better treat her right - she’s pretty strong.”

“She’s one of the boys,” Scott said proudly, and swung at her playfully.

Carolyn blocked automatically.

Sensei sighed. “Kid, did someone give you caffeine?”

“Captain Lyle let me drink some of his coffee,” Carolyn confessed.

Sensei winced. “Right. Get over and - show Bob how to punch. C’mere, Bob.”

Bob scooted toward Carolyn, dark eyes wary. Then he fell into a fighting stance. “Show me what you got!”

Scott tackled him.

The lesson dissolved from there. Sensei was surprised to find himself standing on the sidelines, Carolyn beside him, watching in bemusement as the four brothers laughed and brawled.

“Where’d you learn how to hit like that?” Sensei asked.


Carolyn shrugged. “I used to be in foster care.”

(293 words)

1 comment:

Madness said...

LOL. I can picture this so clearly! Very funny and light hearted.