Monday, October 27, 2008

Jesse Carlisle

Jesse hated being called pretty. He’d been long disabused of protesting his prettiness, because he was an actor and his good looks were an undeniable asset. When most people called him pretty, though, it was derogatory, a dismissal of the rest of his existence. So he jammed a beanie hat down over his hair - red-brown, soft-looking, the magazines said - and wore a pair of thick-rimmed glasses to hide his eyes - grey and intense, reporters simpered - and hunched over his guitar. On the dimly-lit stage in a crowded coffee shop, he was a musician instead of a superstar.

2 comments:

Madness said...

I so very much like this post. I can see how people relate, as you know I work at a drug rehab, and not a few people there are famous. But while they are there, they are just like everyone else.

I like how it is the comparison between who you are and what you are.

When you have the choice between who you are and what you are, which do you choose?

Nagi said...

Who I am or what I am. Depends on the situation at school. At school, it's what I am - a student. On a deeper interpersonal level, it's who I am. Context is king.