She stood by the window and stared out into the twilit rain.
He stood on the pavement outside the house, watching the warm light spill from the windows. “I’m calling you, dear,” he whispered.
She had the inexplicable urge to go outside, to escape the madness, but they’d locked the doors and windows and told her she couldn’t leave, that she was sick and couldn’t go outside till she was better.
“Find the way out,” he whispered. He could see the graceful curves of her silhouette and knew she had to be looking at him. Why wasn’t she coming? “Can’t you me standing right here?”
“Jill, come away from the window.” Someone tugged on her shoulder, and she turned away.
“Why? I was watching the rain. John -- “ John loved standing in the rain.
“John’s not out there, sweetie. It’s dinnertime.”
Jill followed her mother into the kitchen.
A hand came down on John’s shoulder. “Hey, you shouldn’t be here.”
John ignored him. “I want Jill to come outside and see me. They’re keeping her away from me. I love her.”
The other boy laughed. “John, you’ve been dead for five days. She can’t see a ghost. Come on - crossover time.”
(Lyrics from I.V. by X Japan - see them here; link also includes the video)
1 comment:
I like how he is a ghost. It is short and sweet. I get the feeling of such a deep connection that even death will not part them. And once they are separated, neither know how to cope with it.
Kudos to you.
Post a Comment