Monday, October 5, 2009

Okay

“I’m sorry.”

Clay stood below the stage and watched Bob set up his drums. Almost two days later and Bob’s entire body was still thrumming with fury, every motion jerky with anger. He was still refusing to acknowledge that his brother even existed.

Clay took a deep breath and said, louder, “Tá bron orm.”

Bob paused, lifted his head. Clay cringed, ready for the rage in his brother’s eyes, and shock ricocheted down his spine when he saw hurt instead.

“I heard you the first time.”

Clay jammed his hands into his pockets, hunched his shoulders. “Bobby, I’m really, really sorry. I didn’t mean to --”

“What, you tripped and just happened to fall on my girlfriend?”

“I didn’t mean to hurt you,” Clay said.

Bob closed his eyes, took a deep breath. “I know you didn’t mean to. I just don’t understand how you could possibly think that kissing Carolyn wouldn’t hurt me.”

“I wasn’t thinking.” Clay shrugged, the gesture defensive. “There’s no thinking in love, I guess.”

Bob’s eyes flew open. “You’re in love with Carolyn?”

Clay had to look away. There was a thump; Bob had jumped off the stage. He crossed the stadium floor, caught Clay by the shoulders.

“You’re really in love with her?”

Clay took a deep breath and nodded miserably, unable to look at Bob.

“Aw, hell,” Bob said.

Clay took another deep breath and was horrified when it caught in his throat and sounded like a sob. “I know she chose you. I just had to tell her so she’d understand --”

“That it hurts you too?” Bob said softly.

Clay couldn’t remember the last time he’d wanted to cry.

Bob pulled him into a hug. “I’m sorry,” he whispered. “I love her and she loves me and I’m sorry.”

Clay nodded into Bob’s shoulder. “Don’t break up with her because of me. You’re my brother - I want you to be happy.” He sniffled and felt distinctly pathetic.

Bob held him tightly. “We’ll do our best so it doesn’t hurt so much, okay?”

“Okay.”

(340 words)

1 comment:

Madness said...

Pass me the tissues. I think that about covers it. Tissues are needed.