Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Lean

(Since I spent most of my night trying to figure out how to make Google stop displaying greek, I'll just post my oneword from the 30th and leave it at that for now.)

Word of the Day: “Lean”

"Lean forward," he said. The kitchen froze under the cold, wintery tone of his authoritative voice. The hiss of aerated water streaming from the faucet and into the stainless sink roared louder than Niagra Falls in that moment of final, quiet defiance. Her hand slowly withdrew from the cookie jar and the porcelain vessel clinked like a victorious, yappy dog. She flattened her hands upon the granite countertop, fingers tainted with the scent of chocolate chip and oatmeal.

She was caught, and red-handed.

2 comments:

Madness said...

First off let me say welcome Xylas! Hope you enjoy the world of M&M and I look forward to your writing.

A very unique use of the word and not one that I would have thought about.

I am excited to see what you come out with on the site.

Nagi said...

Whee! Welcome to the game!

You totally took the word in a new direction, and I loved it a lot. You set the scene up masterfully, with fantastic tension. I'm pretty sure that "final, quiet defiance" is my favorite moment ever.

I wasn't too sure about the "victorious, yappy dog", mostly because my referent for the sound of porcelain doesn't closely correlate to that of a dog yapping, but you've got a very specific sense of simile, and I like that.

The last line? Is amazing.