Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Marshall Harris

Marsh Harris was a miniature mobster, all pinstripes and fedoras, black-and-white wingtips and packs of cards, rolling dice. He was light blue eyes and glossy, floppy brown hair, quick slender hands and an even quicker smile. On the edge of the school-yard, he ran three-card monty and craps, twenty-one and poker. In the back of the classroom, he murmured quietly to himself about chances, odds, and fates, cross-roads and choices. When other students tapped with their pencils or doodled in the margins of notebooks, he sketched Hebrew letters on his desk with his fingertips.

1 comment:

Ise Masato said...

I like how the piece moves quickly. I feel fast-talked through it, and I think that's what'd happen if I met Marsh in real life. You had a beat set in the first sentence, but as soon as I got to "rolling dice" I felt there was a hiccup. The quick break had me ponder if you used 'rolling' as a verb or an adjective until I skimmed over the next sentence, where you continued adding rhythmic descriptors.

Keep in mind this is coming from someone with no formal English education outside of high school, so I could have just been duped. Other than that, I thoroughly enjoyed this. I went back and read some of your seraph-verse, and Marsh is definitely my favorite.